Friday, August 28, 2015

More August...To Dad

To: SHANE PERCIVAL
Yes I realize thing will be different. But I still have two more weeks to live the missionary life. Still seems like a good chunk of time. I am glad I am not coming home during the winter. It would be really difficult for my body to handle. I have not had a winter since 2013. I miss watching baseball and golf. These sports do not exist here. 

I am glad you have a chance to go with the missionaries to teach people. It is a good experience for members and gets them involved in the work. And yes there are tons of things to explain so you just have to make it really simple. But anyone who studies it themselves will learn. It just takes effort. Speaking of effort our efforts this week paid off and we are planning to baptize 2 people this Sunday. One guy who is like 24 and a women is around 35. They are cool and just have to quit drinking coffee. (Have I mentioned that everyone and their dog drink coffee in Brazil. I thought Washington was bad but here is worse. People give coffee to their kids who are like 3 years old.)  I have learned on my mission the impact of people's childhood has a lot to do with how they will live their life. Children are very sensitive to everything. And yes people sometimes get the wrong impression that we worship Joseph Smith because we talk a lot about him in the first lesson. But it does not work talking only about Jesus Christ because everyone here believes in him. Not because they actually believe and read the scriptures but because someone when they were a child it was told to them that a man named Jesus Christ died for their sins. 

But those who search will find. Knock and you will receive, right? A promises made in the scriptures many times. I am giving a talk in our branch this Sunday. I will be able to compare the two. I have only given a talk one other time on my mission in my first ward. It has been a long time. That is all for this week. Lots of love. I will give my testimony to the whole mission, along with the other people who will go home with me, on Friday. Should be a fun time. Friday will be our zone conference with the whole mission. A seventy will come. Elder Pino I think. 

With love,

W

No comments:

Post a Comment